Selection & Editing¶
The usual selection tools are available:
- Toggle Select All
- Border and Circle Select
- Lasso Select
- Select Linked from selection
- Select Linked with mouse
- Select tracking marker
The tools and panels available to edit masks are the same in both editors. Editing of mask splines happens in a way similar to editing Bézier curves or paths in GIMP or other curve editors.
To get interactive feedback on the resulting mask, a Mask node can be connected directly to a Viewer node in the compositor, which will then keep updating the compositing result while editing.
- Add Vertex and Slide
Ctrl-LMBis used to place new control points and define handle orientations by a continued mouse drag. A
Ctrl-LMBdouble click will also close the curve if the last point was selected.
- Existing control points can be slided with
LMBand translated, scaled and rotated with the usual
Rshortcuts. The whole spline can be move by dragging the center dot with
- Toggle Cyclic
- Toggle to create a close curve or open it again. Close the mask by joining the last control point to the first.
- Removes control points.
- Slide Spline Curvature
LMBclick on curve and drag to move the handle.
- Set Handle Type
- Set handle type for selected spline points.
- Recalculate Normals
- Make normals (handle directions) consistent.
- Switch Direction
- Switch Direction handle directions in/out.
- Add Feather Vertex and Slide
Shift-LMBis used to define a feathering outline curve. To create an initial feather, sliding from a spline control point outside or inside will create and position feather points. After this
Shift-LMBwill insert new feather point and mouse sliding can be used to move them around.
- Scale Feather
- Will scale the feather size.
Masks can be animated with the shape keying system. This can be useful when there are not enough good feature points to track in the footage, or the mask is not based on footage. Mask animation timing can be edited from the Dope Sheet Mask mode.
- Insert Shape Key
- Will insert a shape key for the active mask layer at the current frame. This works on the level of mask layers, so inserting a shape key will keyframe all the splines and points contained in it.
- Clear Shape Key
- Will clear the shape key for the active mask layer at the current frame.
- Feather Reset Animation
- Resets the feather offset across all animated frames.
- Re-Key Points of Selected Shapes
- Re-interpolate selected points on across the range of keys selected in the dope sheet.
- Hide selected
- Hide unselected