Not only can textures affect the color of a material, they can also affect many of the other properties of a material. The different aspects of a material that a texture influences are controlled in the Influence panel.
Texture options for Surface and Wire materials and in some cases also for Volume and Halo materials.
Surface and Wire materials¶
- Amount texture affects affects diffuse reflectivity
- Amount texture affect the basic color or RGB value of the material
- Influences the opacity of the material. Also use Z Transparency for light and if combining multiple channels.
- Influences the Translucency amount.
- Amount texture affect specular reflectivity
- Influences the Specular color, the color of the reflections created by the lamps on a glossy material.
- Influences the specular hardness amount. A DVar of 1 is equivalent to a Hardness of 130, a DVar of 0.5 is equivalent to a Hardness of 65.
- Influences the amount of Ambient light the material receives.
- Influences the amount of light Emitted by the material.
- Influences the mirror color. This works with environment maps and raytraced reflection.
- Ray Mirror
- Influences the strength of raytraced mirror reflection.
- Commonly called bump mapping, this alters the direction of the surface normal. This is used to fake surface imperfections or unevenness via bump mapping, or to create reliefs.
- Warp allows textures to influence/distort the texture coordinates of a next texture channel. The distortion remains active over all subsequent channels, until a new Warp has been set. Setting the factor at zero cancels out the effect.
- Influences the Displacement of vertices, for using Displacement Maps.
- Bump Mapping
Settings for bump mapping.
- Best Quality, Default, Compatible, Original
- Texture Space, Object Space, View Space
Special texture options for Volume materials.
- Causes the texture to affect the volume’s density.
- Causes the texture to affect the volume’s emission.
- Amount the texture affects scattering.
- Amount the texture affects brightness of out-scattered light
- Emission Color
- Amount the texture affects emission color.
- Amount the texture affects result color after light has been scattered/absorbed.
- Reflection Color
- Amount the texture affects color of out-scattered light.
Special texture options for Halo materials.
- Amount the texture affects ray mirror.
- Amount the texture affects hardness.
- Amount the texture affects translucency.